SWFL, Round One: Bunbury claims 69-point win, lose points to administrative error

Last weekend saw all ten South West Football League teams return to the field for round one of the new season.

Playing against the Bulls at Harvey Recreation Ground, Bunbury looked to start its campaign on the right note.

Much to the Bulldogs' surprise, both teams were neck-and-neck throughout the first quarter.

Guided by coach Jamie Nani, Bunbury picked up in the second to claim a 5.2.32 to 4.2.26 lead at the main break.

The Bulldogs returned to their premiership-winning ways in the second half - booting another nine goals against a depleted Bulls' line-up.

Bunbury went on to clinch a resounding 14.13.97 to 4.4.28 victory.

However, an administrative error saw Harvey collect the four points.

Coming off a spectacular 2018, Donnybrook went up against Cary Park in front of a lively crowd on Saturday afternoon.

The reigning premiers took control after the opening bounce down, before booting four goals in the first term.

Ahead by 17 points at quarter time, the home side then held its lead throughout the second.

As the momentum swung in Carey Park's favour, Brendan Shand booted the Panthers' third of the game.

After clearing the ball out of Donnybrook's forward 50, Carey Park's midfielders worked to set up numerous attempts on goal.

Panther Jeffrey Carter shrunk the home side's margin by booting a set shot from a tight angle.

Donnybrook kicked a handful of attempts through the point posts, as tempers flared around the ground.

Thanks to Carter's second for the term, the visitors trailed by six, 4.5.29 to 5.5.35, at three-quarter time.

Donnybrook coach Julian Burgess called for his side to deliver "disciplined football" and to keep the ball within the forward area.

Carey Park dominated possession and found plenty of free players up forward in the final term.

Taking a mark near the goal square, Carter kicked another goal to put the visitors in front.

The star forward booted his fourth, before Zane Verhaaf slotted the Panthers' eighth with a sublime effort close to the 50-metre line.

Carey Park celebrated a 8.8.56 to 5.5.35 upset win in front of a stunned Donnybrook crowd.

South Bunbury will look to recover in round two, following its 21-point loss to Augusta-Margaret River Hawks at Gloucester Park.

A blistering first term saw the Hawks move ahead, 3.5.23 to 2.1.13, by quarter time.

Kicking another two goals in the second, the home side returned to the clubrooms with a 25-point half-time buffer.

The Tigers shrunk the gap in the third, before Augusta-Margaret River notched up a 7.15.57 to 5.6.36 win.

Harvey-Brunswick-Leschenault opened its account with a come-from-behind victory over Busselton at Bovell Park.

The Magpies made all the right moves in the opening term - posting a 3.3.21 to 2.0.12 margin at quarter time.

Keeping Busselton scoreless in the second quarter, the Lions earned a solid 18-point lead midway through the game.

Refusing to back down, the home side took back the lead prior to three-quarter time.

Following an explosive showdown in the final term, HBL picked up a 10.8.68 to 8.11.59 away win.

A 10-goal haul to Jarrod Humphries led Eaton to a convincing 24.16.160 to 11.7.73 victory over Collie.

Trailing by just four points at quarter time, the Boomers silenced the Collie crowd by booting four goals to one in the second.

The visitors went on to kick a devastating seven majors to one in the third quarter.

Notching up another 10 goals in the fourth, Eaton cruised to a 73-point win.

SWFL - Round two kicks off on Saturday, April 13.

Read more:

This story Bulldogs take on Bulls first appeared on Bunbury Mail.