An emergency warning has been issued for parts of Beelerup and Queenwood in the Shire of Donnybrook-Balingup this afternoon as firefighters battle an out-of-control fire that is approaching homes.
The fire was first reported at 9:56am on Wednesday, January 29, and is being managed by the Shire of Donnybrook-Balingup.
The warning has been issued for people in an area bounded by Bangadang Road, Merrfield Road, Beelerup Road and Donnybrook-Boyup Brook Road, with the department urging people to act immediately to survive.
Twenty Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service, Bush Fire Service, Shire of Donnybrook-Balingup firefighters are at the scene of the bushfire, which is currently moving fast in an easterly direction at four kilometres per hour and is unpredictable.
Motorists are being asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully.
WHAT TO DO:
- If the way is clear, leave now for a safer place.
- Do not wait and see, leaving at the last minute is deadly.
- Close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
- If you cannot leave, you need to get ready to shelter in your home.
- Go to a room in your home away from the fire front and make sure you can easily escape.
- Choose a room with two exits and water such as a kitchen or laundry.
- If you are not at home, it's too dangerous to return.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
- Some roads may be closed.
- Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting travelmap.mainroads.wa.gov.au or by contacting the SHIRE OF DONNYBROOK-BALINGUP.
To remain up-to-date, visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au or call 13 DFES (13 3337).