FIFO worker arrested after breaching Perth hotel quarantine

FIFO worker arrested after breaching Perth hotel quarantine

An interstate fly-in fly-out worker has been arrested after he allegedly breached hotel quarantine four times after landing in Perth from Queensland.

His colleague, a 30-year-old worker from New South Wales staying at the same accommodation, has also been fined for breaching quarantine to hang out with his workmate.

The men worked for the same company and were self-isolating at the same apartment complex.

Selu Cecil Thornley Siitia, 32, landed at Perth Airport on October 13, after receiving an exemption through the G2G Pass system to travel to Western Australia for work.

Mr Siitia, who is a New Zealand citizen but usually lives in Queensland, was ordered to self-isolate for 14 days at the Mont Clare Boutique Apartments in East Perth.

Police allege the man wasn't in his apartment when officers arrived at the hotel for a random quarantine compliance check just after 3pm on Friday and found him outside the complex instead.

Mr Siitia told officers he had dropped his phone from his room's balcony and was picking it up.

After police escorted Mr Siitia back to his room, staff told officers they had found the 32-year-old playing cards and drinking with another guest in his room during a routine check.

The man's colleague landed in Perth from New South Wales on October 17 and was issued with a direction to self-isolate at the same apartment complex upon arrival.

"During the course of the investigation, it was identified that a second possible self-quarantine breach had taken place, involving another employee of the same company who had also recently arrived in WA," a police spokesman said.

"Both men were advised they would be receiving a $1,000 infringement for failing to comply with the direction they were given and were reminded of their requirements to self-quarantine."

But upon leaving the complex, police found Mr Siitia at the front of the apartment building in breach of his self-quarantine direction again.

Police claim Mr Siitia became aggressive after being told he would be taken to a secure hotel for the remainder of his quarantine and was arrested after a short struggle with officers.

Mr Siitia was taken to Perth watch house and charged with four counts of failing to comply with a direction.

He appeared in Perth Magistrates Court on Saturday morning via audiolink and was refused bail.

Mr Siitia will need to undergo a new 14-day quarantine at a solitary cell in Hakea Prison and face court again on November 9.

More than 100 people have been charged with breaching quarantine or social distancing rules since WA started enforcing its emergency powers in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Around half of the 106 charged to August 27 were convicted of failing to comply with a direction, which carries a maximum penalty of 12 months jail or a $50,000 fine.

This story FIFO worker arrested after breaching Perth hotel quarantine first appeared on Mandurah Mail.