Busselton Magpies suffer a loss in round 12 of SWFL | Photos

Round 12 of the South West Football League provided no relief for the Busselton Magpies’ league side as they travelled to Harvey. While the conditions were great for a game of footy, Busselton were slow to start allowing Harvey to take advantage.

It was clear to see that Harvey wanted to come away with a win for veteran Mark Cherubino who played his 250th match in the SWFL.

Harvey’s Nic Carney had a great start to game getting plenty of the ball from the middle and driving into the forward line. The first goal came from Harvey’s Jordan Fimmano.

Busselton’s defence were working hard and getting a few turnovers but it was null and void as the team struggled to hit a target in the forward line.

Harvey kicked another five goals thanks to Adam Boone, Jacob Pickett, Patrick Italiano and Tom Smith.

The Magpies were unable to score a goal with the first quarter scores being 6.2 (38) to 0.1 (1).

Busselton were able to even the ledger slightly in the second term with two goals from Ethan Bowman and Matt Wellburn.

Bailey Sanford, Jackson Arbon and Mitchell Lague stood up once again for the Magpies by setting up a lot of play in the midfield.

However the Bulls also kicked two goals thanks to Brett Lofthouse and Fimmano, keeping them six goals ahead at the major break.

Busselton coach Steve Lester said the team got “fairly belted” in the first quarter but their response in the second showed more positive signs.

Harvey came out firing in the third quarter with a quick goal from David Faulkner.

Boone kicked his second goal not long after Faulkner’s. 

Lester said the quick goals made Harvey look dangerous for a potential blow out but his team stood up and stemmed the flow.

To the Magpies credit they did get a lot more of the ball in forward line but only had two goals by Waight and Brayden Hoskins.

The three quarter time score was 11.3 (69) to 4.4 (28).

It was another early goal for Harvey thanks to Boone who kicked three for the match.

Busselton had a quick reply with a great goal on the run from Sanford.

But this was the last major score for the Magpies for the game.

Harvey continued their onslaught kicking another four goals including one on the siren.

The team were even able to set up a goal for milestone man Cherubino.

The final score was 16.5 9101 to 5.6 (36).

“To Harvey’s credit they had pressure on us from woe to go,” Lester said.

One of Busselton’s young guns in Jed Kemp couldn’t play after being concussed the in Landmark match the week before.

“It wasn’t ideal but we had to take precaution and he should be fine for next week,” Lester said.

Harvey are now a win ahead of South Bunbury and sit fourth on the ladder. Busselton are still a half a win ahead of Carey Park and are second last on the ladder. The Magpies will host Augusta Margaret River Hawks and will be a curtain raiser to afternoon WAFL match.

Lester said he hoped there will be a good crowd on the weekend as it will be the first home game since Sam Shepherd played his record breaking game. He said it will be a tough match against the Hawks who are coming off a good win against Eaton.

“We just ask the team to have the same level of effort and intensity throughout the game which they haven’t always done but if we start well and then are thereabouts towards the end we can give ourselves every chance of winning,” Lester said.

On July 9 the Busselton Dunsborough Mail printed that player Chris Puff had received a yellow card during the match against Eaton. This was incorrect and it was Ben Daniels who received the yellow card.

This story Harvey Bulls take down Magpies first appeared on Busselton-Dunsborough Mail.