Vic drivers warned ahead of Easter holiday

Assistant Commissioner Stephen Leane has warned Victorian motorists to slow down and take breaks.
Assistant Commissioner Stephen Leane has warned Victorian motorists to slow down and take breaks.

Nearly 100 people have been killed on Victorian roads so far this year and on the eve of the Easter long weekend, police are pleading with motorists to end the carnage.

A five-day, high-visibility police campaign dubbed Operation Nexus launched on Thursday in a bid to stop more lives being lost.

"With 75 per cent of our lives lost this year being made up of country road users and motorcyclists, we cannot stress enough the importance in slowing down, driving to the conditions and taking that 15-minute break," Road Policing Command Assistant Commissioner Stephen Leane said.

"We cannot do this without the support of the community. Police cannot be everywhere, but hopefully we are where you least expect us."

There have been 96 road deaths in Victoria to midnight Wednesday, compared to 58 for the same period last year.

As well as the police operation, 27 driver reviver sites will be set up across the state with volunteers offering free hot drinks and snacks to drivers to help them slow down and concentrate during their journeys.

"We've already seen a devastating number of lives lost on our roads this year. The number isn't just a statistic - it reflects the number of people who won't be spending Easter with their families this year," Police Minister Lisa Neville said.

"Our police and emergency services will be out in force doing what they can to keep everyone safe this long weekend, but motorists have the biggest role to play on our roads."

Australian Associated Press